Wallis Fields is our £50m regeneration project, which redevelops the heart of the Park Wood estate in Maidstone. The work is being carried out in three phases and involves the demolition of 234 flats in the Wallis Avenue area, along with garages and commercial units. In their place we are building 202 new homes, mainly family houses, along with a new shopping area and community facilities.
Phases 1 and 2 are now complete, and have involved the development of 146 homes plus a new shopping centre. The new scheme was officially opened by Cllr Mayor Moriarty in March 2016.
Phase 3 is nearing completion which sees the delivery of the final 56 homes (18 houses and 38 flats, plus 2 commercial units). These homes will be available for Affordable Rent, market rent and also Shared Ownership when the scheme completes in early 2018.
Phase 3 will complete the final part of this significant regeneration project providing not only homes and community facilities but a much wider package of investment to improve the local area. These improvements include public space improvements to the nearby Parkwood Park, a path walk way, additional planting, and our significant financial contribution towards a skate park, and outside gym equipment near to Heather House installed by Maidstone Borough Council.
Here are the details of each of the different phases:
- Wallis Fields Newsletter August 2016
- Demolition of existing shopping parade
- Building of 56 new homes and two additional retail units. The houses will be two and three-bedrooms and the apartments will be one and two-bedroom
- Some of the homes will be available for market rent and shared ownership. Visit our Golding Places website for more information on these properties.
Phase 2 Now Complete
- Handover was phased from Autumn 2015 - Spring 2016.
- Demolition of the block of flats between Longshaw Road and Bicknor Road
- New shopping and community facilities
- 77 new homes - 41 houses and 36 apartments.
Phase 1 Now Complete
- Demolition of 100 flats around the junction of Wallis Avenue and Longshaw Road
- 51 new houses and 18 new apartments
- New community centre
- Improvements to the park including cycle path, walkway, skate park and outside gym.
Visit our facebook page to see pictures from the demolition event, local children's artwork project and progress pictures of the development. We also have a You Tube video showing some demolition taking place.