Staying fire safe in your home

A small kitchen fire broke out in one of our customer’s homes last week, though thankfully nobody was injured and the Fire Brigade was able to quickly extinguish the flames.

Following this incident, we’d like to remind you how to stay fire safe in your home by following some simple tips:

  • Fires often start in the kitchen, so never leave pans on the hob or cooking unattended, and make sure the oven’s switched off before going out
  • Keep internal doors closed, as this can hold smoke and flames back for between 10-30 minutes
  • Make sure you unplug electrical appliances overnight and always blow candles out before leaving the room
  • Keep your home clutter-free to reduce the risk of a fire
  • Where possible, avoid locking pets away in rooms where they have no means of escape in an emergency

Please take a look at Kent Fire and Rescue’s website for lots more helpful tips and advice.

We also know that lots of people are trying to reduce their heating use at the moment to save money. If that’s you, please make sure you’re doing so safely by keeping chimneys swept (if you have one), keeping portable heaters clear of anything that could catch fire, making sure electric blankets are in good condition and not using them at the same time as hot water bottles.

Find out more about building safety here, including a helpful fire safety video for you to watch.

Our Use of Cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We’d also like to set optional analytical cookies to help us improve it. We won’t set optional cookies unless you accept them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie Policy.

Necessary cookies - Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Please choose a setting: