Save Energy, Save Money
We are all aware of rising energy costs. You may feel there is little that you can do about this but switching to a lower tarriff or supplier could save you money. There are many comparions sites which can help you. We have listed some for your guidance:
- uSwitch T: 0800 051 5493
Can everyone switch?
- Most people can switch supplier.
- With a pay-as-you-go meter you can switch with a debt of up to £500.
- If you rent and you are responsible for energy bills, you have the right to switch. A landlord only has the right to choose energy supplier if they are paying the energy bills.
Find a better deal
- Talk to your current supplier to see if they can offer a better deal. Speak to them direct or visit their website to see what tariffs they offer.
- Use an online comparison website to see what other suppliers are offering and to compare deals
- Contact other suppliers directly
If you struggle to understand your energy bills, uSwitch have produced a helpful video to explain what everything means. You can view it here.
To really make a difference you need to use less energy.
Top tips that don't cost anything
- Turn down your thermostat
- reducing by 1ºC could cut 10% of your heating bill
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room
- Close your curtains at dusk to stop heat escaping
- Fill up your washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher
- one full load uses less energy than two half loads. Wash your clothes at 30ºC. Don't use the tumbledryer if you can avoid it
- Don't boil more water than you need
- but remember to cover the elements if you are using an electric kettle
- Use energy saving lightbulbs
- they last up to 10 times longer than ordinary bulbs and don't cost much more
- Don't leave applicances on standby
- remember not to leave laptops and mobile phones on charge unnecessarily. Most mobiles are fully charged within two hours!