Universal Credit

universal Credit Monster Change Orange Banner The Government is making changes to the welfare benefit system to make it fairer, encourage people back into work, and to provide more support to those who are working and in receipt of benefits. 

Universal Credit will replace the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • income-based Employment and Support Allowance(ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

Universal Credit is a new single payment for people who are looking for work or on a low income and only affects people of working age.  To find out about the changes and how to prepare the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) have an online tool which can help you, or for further information visit the Government's Universal Credit page. The DWP have also produced a handy video which explains which what Universal Credit is. You can watch it here.

If you are affected please download the  Universal Credit Claim Journey which will help you understand the process better, as well as reading the Universal Credit FAQs which should help to answer any questions you might have. 

How do I claim?

You will need to apply for Universal Credit online, follow the link to be start an online application: www.universal-credit.service.gov.uk/postcode-checker

If you are affected by the changes and would like some advice then we are here to help. If you need any support please call us or email enquiries@goldinghomes.org.uk.